ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Department of Biological Sciences was established in October, 2013 by the Management of Al-Qalam university Katsina with the approval of National Universities Commision (NUC) for B.Sc. Biology programme which was the only course run until recently, the approval for B.Sc. Microbiology and B.Sc. Biochemistry were obtained. The new programmes took up in the 2019/2020 academic session.
The values of the department include, among others, high academic quality and institutional discipline, a vibrant and dedicated team spirit, passion for fairness, firmness, thoroughness, hard work and reputation for quality of graduates in both character and learning.
Students who have been admitted into this great Department are urged to put in the necessary determination, zeal and effort that will ensure success in their quest for higher education.
Welcome. Have a happy and productive stay in the Department of Biological Sciences.
Muhammad Abdullahi Sa’id
Ag. H.O.D. Biological Sciences
The vision of the Department is to produce top quality graduates in the area of Biological Sciences with sound character for the development of the State in particular, Nigeria and other countries in general.
The mission of the Department is to rigorously pursue productive, scientific and technological research which will promote rapid development of competent and professional manpower with sound theoretical background and practical knowledge of Life Sciences leading to social, economic and political developments as well as the transformation of Katsina State from an agricultural to an industrialized State.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DISCIPLINES
Biology is a broad field of study linking many disciplines in science such as: Agriculture, Biochemistry, Genetics, Biotechnology, Medicine, Molecular Biology, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Plant Pathology, Forestry and environmental matters etc. The demand for man-power with knowledge of Biology is no doubt high, especially in areas with high population concentration and vast ecological distribution such as Katsina State. Hence, the training offered by Biological Sciences Department of Al-Qalam University Katsina is focused towards production skilled manpower to address the immediate Biological demands of our area. The main aim of B.Sc. Biology, B.Sc. Microbiology and B.Sc. Biochemistry programmes of Al-Qalam University Katsina, is to train and produce qualitative graduates worthy in both character and learning, with necessary skills to partake in the dissemination of knowledge and conduct of researches in various disciplines of life sciences. This will ensure the building of new generation for sound national identity, integrity and development.
The objectives of the programmes are therefore:
- To train and produce skilled manpower capable of working in medical laboratories, food and pharmaceutical industries as well as teaching in secondary and tertiary institutions.
- To train graduates capable of undertaking further studies and researches in disciplines like: Medicine, Food/Nutrition, Pharmacology, Agriculture, Horticulture, Environmental Conservation, Pollution, etc.
- . To train experts that can work with law makers to create new legislations on critical areas like, biomedical research, wild life and forest conservation as well as environmental protection.
- To produce graduates equipped with the capacity to use scientific methods to discover and process evidence that can be used for forensic purposes.
- To produce graduates with relevant training and exposure to make meaningful contribution at home and in research in states/establishments with strong Biological background such as: National Institute for Trypanosome Research (NITR), National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI), International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON), National Agency for Food Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA), etc.
- To produce graduates with relevant training and exposure to make meaningful contribution at home and in research in states/establishments with strong Biological background such as: National Institute for Trypanosome Research (NITR), National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI), International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON), National Agency for Food Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA), etc
- To train graduates who can use the acquired knowledge and skills to develop plans which will help to improve the welfare of humanity.
- To produce graduates that are capable of taking up positions in establishments that provide scientific products and service as well as undertake research and test new products valuable to human beings.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
The minimum duration for the B.Sc. Biology, B.Sc. Microbiology and B.Sc. Biochemistry degree programmes are four years each, except for candidates who gained admission through D.E. 200 Level. The duration for such candidates is three years. The maximum time is six years within which candidates must complete each of the programmes.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS INTO THE DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Candidates are admitted into the programmes at level 100 or level 200 depending on their entry qualifications.
- (1) Level 100: Candidates must have passed Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) from National Examination Council (NECO) or the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) or any other recognized bodies with a minimum of 5 credits including English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and any other relevant science subject in not more than two sittings. This is in addition to obtaining minimum required point in Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and passing the post UTME examination of the University.
- (2) Level 200: In additional to 5 relavant credits at ‘O’ level a candidate must have a minimum of grade C pass at Higher School Certificate/GCE Advanced level; Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) or equivalent in Biology and Chemistry and any other Science subject in not more than two sittings. Candidates with a minimum of 9 points in the IJMB examination or 9 points in the Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) in Biology, Chemistry or at least a credit pass diploma in relevant subjects may also be considered.
Muhammad Abdullahi Sa’id
The Ag. Head of Department of Biological Sciences